Friday, May 24, 2013

It's Hard To Let Things Go

I'm excited to introduce my sister Marquie Walton. She is pursuing a fine arts degree at Brigham Young University as a Music major. She is incredibly smart and talented with a fresh new perspective. Here's what she has to say.
--------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone! Thank you for taking the time to read this today! When Michelle asked me to do a guest blog, I reluctantly said yes. I figured I wouldn’t really have anything to say, but I didn’t have anything else to do with my time, either. Michelle said to write something about letting go. Immediately I thought, “what the heck, I have nothing to say”. Upon further search, I would like to share 2 examples with you on letting things go in my life.


I recently had my 1st anniversary. Woohoo! We made it a year. However, the first story took place while we were working on our decision to be married. I am very particular about the clothes I wear, and how people perceive me based on my clothes. Patrick, my husband, wears pants that are too short. He knows this, I know this, pretty much the whole world knows it now, and it drives me nuts. One morning, my dad and I went out to breakfast to talk about my feelings. I brought up the pants. They are just enough too short that it’s a wee bit awkward. I ranted about it for a few minutes, and my dad listened and said something very important. “Then break up with him.” WHAT?! That’s the stupidest thing I had ever heard. And I felt SO shallow. . . Cuz I was. But it bothered me so bad. Why was it such a big deal? It was shallow, but important to me, so it couldn’t go unresolved.  Basically what this had come down to was either I get over it and let it go, buck up and talk to Patrick, or break up. Break up over pants? Come on. But it was an option. And that’s when I realized it wasn’t really an option.


After that, I really realized they were only pants, talked about it a bit, and I moved on, but ensured his tux pants were long enough (for me) at our wedding. :) We still have discussions about the length of his pants, and his short pants still drive me berzerk.  However, upon discussion, I found out that it really isn’t that big of a deal to him to wear longer pants. He had gotten used to the clothes that he had shrunk in, (they were too big!), and he didn’t have the money to buy ones that fit well again. Patrick told me he likes to look nice, just like I do, and feels better when he dresses to fit, but also that there were more important things to do with his money. The thing that I’m trying to get across here is that this tiny tiny thing was made huge. Now, sometimes these tiny things are really important to you, and that is okay. Length of pants is important to me. I didn’t just dismiss it, but I dealt with it. I chose what was most important to me, and that was not the pants. It was our relationship. To this day I still tell him his pants are too short, and he smiles and fixes them. I let go of my annoyance just enough to let our relationship through, and Patrick let go of his short pants enough to deal with my constant nagging. We know we love each other, and our relationship comes first.


The second story is quick, I promise! As you already know, I care a lot about how other people perceive me based on my looks. Well, 3 days ago I had long, beautiful brown locks almost halfway down my back. 2 days ago, I went to the salon with my 9 year old niece, and we cut off our beautiful locks and donated them to Locks of Love. I initially did this because her mom was tired of her screaming every time she had to brush her hair. She said, “why don’t you donate your hair?” I was sitting there, and I said, “if you do it, I’ll do it!” What had I just said?! I had been planning to cut my hair, but NOT YET! I had to work up to it. I went back and forth, and then finally decided that I had told my niece that I would do it, and I wouldn’t go back on that. My long brown locks and her blonde ones are now chopped short to our chins in 2 cute bobs. I was on the verge of tears the night we did it, but it’s already growing on me. The important thing to me, was that I was able to let go of something that again, was rather superficial, but very important to me, to do something important. In this case, I didn’t go back on the promise I had made.


Looking back at these 2 stories, I feel kind of superficial, but these things can be applied to any situation, however deep or superficial. Figure out what is most important to you, no matter how hard the other may be to give up, and stick with it. My family is the most important thing to me, so that is what I choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment