Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chocolate Bannana Bread

I am particularly fond of sweet breads, so today when I saw the three overly ripe bananas sitting on my counter I knew just what my family fun activity should be. I didn't involve all the family today because they were scattered through the neighborhood playing with friends. I just grabbed my daughter and her friend, washed hands, put on aprons, and got to work. It got a little messy but we had fun. The aromas floating through my house right now are heavenly!

I believe this recipe is from my sister's mother-in-law, and it is really and truly delicious! Here is the recipe for you to enjoy!

Chocolate Banana Tea Bread
1/2 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
2 Tblsp. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1/2 c. sour cream
1-2 c. chocolate chips (not optional)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Cream butter, add sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. In seperate bowl combine dry ingredients and add to wet mixture. Mix in vanilla, banana, and sour cream. Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips. Grease 2 regular size bread pans and pour mixture into pans. Bake 55 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.

*You can use different loaf pans. Today we used 1 regular size loaf pan and made 12 cupcakes. The cupcakes bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. The kids always enjoy the cupcakes. It's just more fun! My sister makes four mini loaves or you can make one large loaf. Both cook for 55 minutes at 350 degrees. Sometimes the larger loaf takes a little longer. To make life easier you may want to put some parchment paper in the bottom of your pan before pouring the batter in.

I gave my daughter a cupcake and the first words out of her mouth were, "Is there frosting?" If you want to make it a little sweeter you could easily add frosting and let the kids decorate them. I personally love them just the way they are. Have fun and enjoy!





I wasn't joking about the messy part. You can't see it but they splattered about 1/2 c. of batter all over the kitchen.
We had some new winners in our Geocaching Mania. You can see their pictures by clicking on the geocaching mania tab above.

No comments:

Post a Comment