Monday, November 4, 2013

Time Tested Beauty Tips for Parents

"Mom, I like you better with make-up," Daniel tells me, followed by a, "Mom, why don't you ever wear your make-up?" Then I hear from Ella, "Well I like mom better without make-up." 

Some days just getting dressed, breakfast made, and kids out of the house is as good as it gets. No time for make-up, or fancy hair do's or extra exercise. In fact my appearance is often a topic of my two oldests conversations.  If I get dressed up beyond jeans, say a pair of dress pants, Daniel always says, "Mom, you look different. Why are you dressed like that?" Or, I get a "Mom you never dress up," from my Ella. Julia just gives me kisses no matter what I look like, so if I'm feeling a little down I can always count on her for a pick me up. Once, one of my kids just walked up to me while I was vacuuming and stuck me in the belly with their finger, like I was the Pillsbury dough boy, and said, "Hmm, squishy." With all of these honest opinions flying around how is a person supposed to feel good about herself? Well, I found a great poem written by American Humorist Sam Levenson that gives some great perspective for a beautiful mother (or handsome father). Its full of great beauty tips for parents everywhere.


Time-Tested Beauty Tips
For attractive lips,
speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes,
seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure,
share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair,
let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise,
walk with the knowledge you’ll never walk alone…
People, even more than things,
have to be restored, renewed, revived,
reclaimed and redeemed and redeemed …
Never throw out anybody. Remember, if you ever need a
helping hand, you’ll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older you will discover that you have two hands.
One for helping yourself, the other for helping others


Parents are beautiful for what they do not for how they look. They are beautiful for the hands they hold, the hugs they give, the tears they cry and the tears they dry. They are beautiful for the patience they muster, the child they listen to, and the love they share even at times when that love is not returned. When our children need someone to rely on it doesn't matter if we're wearing make-up, skinny as a noodle, or as muscular as the hulk. They need someone who loves them. That person is you. Remember today that you are beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment