Monday, November 21, 2011

When there's love

Three years ago with what I imagine was anxiety, hope, and confidence my sister faced the removal of one of her kidneys. I had such a desire to be with my sister that day. I wanted to help her, watch her kids, make her meals, make her smile while she was in pain, and sit with her at the hospital. I longed with all my heart to share this trial with her and ease her burdens any way I could. To my distress and sadness I could not. Life kept us apart. From a great distance I prayed and fasted for her and then asked all my friends and family to do the same. It was all I could do.

My sweet mother has often been far away from her family and has felt the same sadness in her inability to help them in their times of need. Last week my mother and I shared a sweet moment when she related her joy in the opportunity she had to help her sister in a similar situation. Her sister gave her husband one of her kidneys because a kidney disease had destroyed his (an amazing story of love all in itself). As she scrubbed her sisters kitchen sink in an effort to provide a clean peaceful welcome home from the hospital, tears welled in her eyes. The immensity of love she felt for her sister and her brother in law combined with her overwhelming joy in sharing in a small way her sisters burden overcame her. At that moment I had a powerful glimpse of what life is all about. It is all about our families and the love that can be found within.

There is an abundance of pain, hurt and trial in life, but as families, through even the smallest act of love or sacrifice we can protect, uplift and comfort. We can strengthen our children, our siblings, our parents, our spouse, aunts, uncles, cousins (including all in laws and any others who have found there way into our families) and in turn the world. There is vibrant beauty found in these small tender moments of life. Our families can be the calm in the ever raging storms. Family is about pure love and giving. It is about forgiving wrongs and setting aside selfishness. It is about giving whatever you can no matter how small to show love. I conclude with the wise words of John Hugh McNaughton, "There is beauty all around when there's love at home; there is joy in every sound when there's love at home; all the world is filled with love when there's love at home."

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the sweet reminder. I think everyday how I wish there was more family time in the world. Wouldn't it be a better place. I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete